My last two reads were Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and John Grisham's The Broker. The coincedence in these books is that they are both about an American who found themselves in Italy and got to sample the food there. One was a divorcee travelling around for spiritual conquest, work and also because she could while the other was an ex-prisoner hiding from certain groups that wanted him dead.
These two writers are very good at vivid description especially when it came to the cuisine part. My mouth watered the whole time and I often took snack breaks. It also got me thinking about my own cooking.
I don't like cooking.
It's not that I can't cook. I know enough to survive. Compared to prison food, I do a pretty good job. It just doesn't excite me at all. However when I read these two books I was sure I wanted to change that. Wanting to eat exciting food meant knowing how exactly to prepare it.
This is where Kaluhi's blog comes in.
I had seen it a few times, tried a few recipes and ogled at most of them but this time I typed kaluhiskitchen.com with envy trying to find out if one day I'll be able to cook just as well. Maybe, I thought she's a catfish and the pics she uses are googled.
There's a joy that comes with cooking food that looks the same as the one pictured on the website. Of course I tried out the easier recipes first but soon I'll escalate to stuff like fritatas. Most of her plans are based on basic ingredients put together to make an excellent meal.
Atleast Kaluhi is a driven writer, someone who contributes to society. Unlike her, the girl who shall not be mentioned is driven by unreasonable factors. As if trolling blue subarus was not enough she is now focused on someone who minds their own business on social media. I couldn't finish that article and to think she was paid to do it. You mean there was an editor who actually approved such an article for a nationwide audience? You Ngara be kidding me!
Anyhu, where was I? Yea...Diana Kaluhi. She was gracious enough to answer some of my questions. Make sure you read and visit her blog later.
FL: Tell me something about yourself.
DK: My name is Diana Kaluhi Adagala. I am the third of five girls. I am a finance major graduate who is crazy about cooking and loves being in the kitchen. I am a girly girl who enjoys good laughs and intelligent conversation. Most importantly, I am a Christian.
FL: When and why did you start food blogging?
DK: I began blogging last year after graduating from university. I had plenty of time on my hands and found myself spending much of it in the kitchen. I would then develop new recipes which my family would love. I wanted to share the same with the rest of the world and found that blogging would be the best platform. I took the plunge and that was the beginning of my journey as a food blogger.
FL: Any handy tips you may have for use in the kitchen?
DK: Try new flavours to add some oomph to your everyday meals. Always make an effort to serve food that has amazing taste and a visual appeal.
FL: What are you reading?
DK: I just finished reading Pride and Prejudice and hoping to get my hands on 'We Need New Names' by Noviolet Bulawayo.
FL: What advise would you give to a large group of people?
DK: Dare to dream and believe that you can achieve beyond what you could ever imagine. Dare to become.
FL: Have you thought of opening a restaurant?
DK: Yes, it is one of my longterm objectives since I've always wanted to be an entrepreneur. Keep my contacts, I shall invite you!
At this point I wanted to say "Actually, you are officially my friend. Please feel free to use me as your kitchen lab rat. Your home-made meals will be accepted as gifts everynow and then."
Kaluhi is doing a great job of showing how to have fun in the kitchen in an inexpensive way. Her recommendations are to die for!

1 comment : Leave Your Comments